Saturday 13 April 2013

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate.

If you live in Australia you may have seen the debate going on between Sunrise and Sarah Wilson, who is a healthy food blogger that I have great respect for. I'm not going to go into the story as I'm not really one to take sides (I'm a Libran - it's all about balance for me!) but it has raised some interesting questions from some people as to how you deal with this discussion between your own friends, and also when dealing with health professionals.

I am lucky enough to almost be through the vaccination period. I have sat on both sides of the fence throughout this period. When my oldest was a baby, I was a teenager and very vunerable. I didn't make a 'choice' to vaccinate, I really didn't think that it was an option not too. I went along with the health system, took advice from doctors and midwives and my son was fully vaccinated. And he is fine. He has a strong immune system , had no adverse reactions and is now a healthy happy teenager.

When my daughter was born 4 years ago I was still caught up in the medical health system, I still followed the advice from doctors and midwives and she was fully vaccinated for 9 months. Then at 9 months she started having reactions to all sorts of things. I was told by the same doctors and midwives that there was nothing wrong with her and I got the impression that they thought I was being paranoid. To be told 'there is nothing you can do to help her' was a big lightbulb moment for me, and it has led me to where I am today, training in the field of Integrative Nutrition. For the first time in my life, I had the feeling that these very, very well meaning and intelligent health professionals, possibly weren't aware that there is always something you can do. They might not have the answer, but somebody, somewhere does.

At 12 months I took my daughter to get her MMR vaccination and I had this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach that I shouldn't do it. I decided to delay it. It went against my value and belief system not to vaccinate, because that was the culture I grew up in, but I just couldn't shake this feeling. I kept delaying and kept delaying and that was okay - the doctors and midwives were very understanding that I needed that time to decide.

Over this time I got busy researching. I read books on the subject, talked to friends and family (now that's an interesting experience if anyone likes politics!) and I sought advice from a naturopath for the first time. This was also the same time that my 3rd child was born. He was born a premmie and he was fairly fragile. Again that alarm bell went off in my head  - I flat out refused for anyone to inject him with anything until he was healthy and strong. I hadn't made the decision not to vaccinate, I just didn't want to do it now. And I was confident that I could keep him away from any bugs for a few months and protect him with my breastmilk.

And that brings us to today. I'm still a bit of a fence sitter. I still haven't made the decision not to vaccinate - I just don't want to do it now. There have been a couple of times that I have vaccinated. I admit that one of them was out of fear. To counteract the bad stuff in the vaccines, I gave the kids some homeopathic remedies before and after the vaccination.

Do I come across negative reactions from health professionals?
No I don't, because I choose not to even enter the debate. When they ask "Are they fully vaccinated?" I simply reply "No". They will then ask "Is there a reason for that?" and I always say "It's my personal choice". They have no right to ask me anything further, so I simply sit in silence. They eventually become uncomfortable with the silence so move quickly onto the next question!

Do I have trouble getting my kids into Childcare/ Kinder/ Primary School/ Highschool?
No I don't. I simply ask Centrelink for a conscientious objection form, fill it in and provide it to whoever has requested.

Do I still receive childcare benefit?
Yes I do. As long as the conscientious objection form has been filled in. And the moment the government decides that you can't receive a benefit or go to school without being fully immunised, I will be the first person to be on  the picket line because I absolutely believe in a parents right to choose.

Do I get concerned that I'm putting my kids at risk by not having them fully immunised?
Yes I do - I'm only human. But the fear that I felt when I walked in to immunise my daughter at 12 months was far greater than the fear I felt when I walked out without doing it. I have learnt to trust my gut, because it is the only thing that I have to guide me in this life as to what is right and wrong for me.

Do I recommend to others not to immunise.
Never! How could I possibly know what is right and wrong for others? Only they can know that, based on their own gut feeling, research and upbringing.

My advice if you're still making the decision:

  • Research, research and more research. You need to be comfortable with the decision that you've made - either way. 
  • Listen to your gut. Listen to your gut. Listen to your gut. I cannot repeat that enough times. 
  • Don't be rushed into the decision. Just because the midwives tell you to immunise at 6 weeks, 3 months etc they will be more than happy to work out a new immunisation plan with you if you decide to delay. 
  • Once you make your decision, try to refrain from telling other people why your decision is right and their's is wrong. Your decision is right for you. Their decision is right for them
  • A couple of good reading books are Dr Jennifer Barham-Floreani "Well adjusted babies" and Dr Peter Baratosy "Vaccination - it's your informed choice". 



No comments:

Post a Comment