Tuesday 12 February 2013

Paying it forward with Warm Showers

Travelling for me is an addiction that I have had for as long as I can remember - new sights, sounds, smells and people - people with stories of places I only dream of visiting and adventures so wild that inspiration, intrigue and envy course through my veins! I always feel alive, recharged and peaceful after a good dose of travelling, and when I'm stuck on the treadmill of life ( as we all are at some point) I crave travelling like I craved soft cheese, sushi and wine when I was 7 months pregnant.

If you sympathise with me, nodding your head, knowing that there is no travel in your near future either, then let me introduce you to the world of Warm Showers!

"Warm Showers?" you say.."I already have one of those every morning". No, this is not about you getting a warm shower, this is about you giving a warm shower to a fellow weary traveller (and maybe a bed, dinner and internet connection if you're feeling particularly generous). Warm Showers is a free worldwide hospitality exchange for travellers (cyclists to be accurate ). Check them out here for more info.

In return for your generosity you will receive news of the outside world, laughter and a soul that is revived and ready for adventure (now you don't get all that at your weekly Mother's group meeting do you!)

Tony & Catherine - our guests from Warm Showers last week
An important part of being happy is being at peace with where you are right  now in your life, and finding creative ways to still do those things that you love no matter what your circumstances. I really do miss the spontaneity of travelling but I wouldn't change these early years with my kids for anything - being a part of Warm Showers brings travelling to me and helps to fill that gap until it's the right time for me to get back on the road.

Have a think about how you could creatively fulfil your needs and then take action!

No comments:

Post a Comment