Monday 29 April 2013

Meal Prep Monday

One of my first posts when I was started this blog was about allocating a meal prep day - you can read about that post here (you can also download my free meal planning template).

Allocating a meal prep day is really important if you want your week to run smoothly and especially important if you work part time or full time. Often when we work all day we are so tired by the time that we get home that we just eat whatever is quickest and easiest - and that means it's often not the healthiest food choice.

So what does meal prepping involve? Here's a step by step guide:


  1. Work out what meals you want to make for the week using this template
  2. Check your cupboards to see if you have all of the ingredients
  3. If you don't then write up your shopping list
  4. Stick to your shopping list when you go to the shops - this will save you time and money
  5. Make all of the basics that you'll need for snacks during the week on an allocated day


Monday for me is my meal prep day for two reasons - the first is that the house is emptied of food after the weekend so I need to re-stock, and also I don't work on a Monday or have any kids activities. You'll need to work out the best day for you - if you work full time it will most likely be Saturday or Sunday.

Meal prep day for me goes like this:

Sunday night:   Write up shopping list and weekly meal plan

7:30am             Drive into town so that I'm at the vege shop at opening time (I do this so that it's nice            and empty in the shop and my kids can run amuck without me constantly having to apologise for their behaviour!)

8:00am              Half hour whizz around (which I can do because I've got my list!)
 
8:30am              Drive back home to supermarket

9am                   Half hour whizz around supermarket

9:30am              Berry picking on way home if we're running low (this is a good break for the kids too)

11am                Back at home - Kids eat morning tea while I put away groceries

11:30am           Make the basics - Basil Pesto, Hummus, Biscuits, Granola, Kefir, Popcorn, Bliss Balls,  Ice-Cream and Yoghurt.

This takes me through till about 2pm, but saves me oodles of time during the week! Here's how I use my basics to keep me sane on busy days:

Basil Pesto

  • Boil up a bowl of pasta and throw a tablespoon in - 5 minute meal
  • Grab a Naan bread, spread with pesto, tomato, capsicum and top with cheese then bake - 10 minute snack
  • Spread on a cracker with tomato, sprouts, cucumber - 5 minute snack
  • Pesto pastry twists
Hummus

  • Spread on a cracker - 1 minute snack
  • Cut up cucumber and carrot sticks and serve with hummus - 5 minute snack
  • Serve with corn chips - 1 minute snack
  • Use as a base in sandwiches - 1 minute snack
  • Throw into some brown rice with chopped cucumber, tomato and avocado - 10 minute lunch
Granola

  • Serve with yoghurt - 1 minute snack
  • Breakfast cereal - 1 minute
  • Make biscuits out of at the end of the week when all of the other biscuits have gone! (15 minutes)
  • Sprinkle over homemade ice-cream for dessert - 1 minute
All of the other things that I make are then ready in the cupboard for hungry kids. It literally takes me 2-3 minutes to whip out a plate, pile on some snacks and serve to the kids at snack time. I also grab a handful of these snacks and put them into a lunchbox to give to the kids on the way home from childcare on my work days too.

If you're not convinced yet then I urge you to try it just a couple of times to see if it can simplify your life just a little!



Nicole x




No comments:

Post a Comment